Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

















































































































Events Calender

Page - 4

Childswickham
During the same three months, Father Bernard went on Tuesday evenings to Childswickham at 7 p.m. for a similar meeting at an old house belonging to a Mr Baradell. Again there was a large attendance. Father Bernard began with prayers and hymns as in Buckland and the children in particular quickly learnt the Catholic hymns. Very soon he had three converts but he also had even fiercer opposition than in Buckland. Dependent on the ability of his poor little donkey, which suffered grievously from their tormentors, he had to ford a stream. At that time of the year it was frequently swollen and the opposition used every stratagem to topple him into its icey waters. Somehow or other they never succeeded. Once he began his lectures, they gathered outside, rattling ploughshares and old saucepans and shouting diabolically. Frequently he could not make himself heard. Indeed the Passionists in the monastery always knew when he was on the way home because they could hear the rabble long before he reached Broadway. Thanks to those foundations he laid, however, a Mass Centre was opened in Chilswickham in 1947 with Mass every Sunday."

The Archconfraternity Of The Immaculate Heart Of Mary
In October 1853, with the approval of Bishop Ullathorne, Father Bernard established the Archconfraternity of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Since most of the Catholics in Broadway were converts, every Sunday for five to six months before actually starting it, Father Bernard explained what the Archconfraternity entailed. In fact it led to many conversions and extraordinary cures of the incurable. The members used to pray for particular intentions. "Thanks and praise to God and His Blessed Mother", Father Bernard recorded, "many of the things we prayed for were obtained." He also had a relic of St Paul of the Cross. Once when the doctor had declared openly about a lady who was dying with tuberculosis that "nothing could cure her but a popish miracle", Father Bernard blessed her with this relic and the people prayed for her recovery. Within a week she was up and back at work and was soon a strong, hea! thy woman again.

Campden
Campden House, about three miles from Broadway, was the home of Viscount Campden, the eldest son of the Earl of Gainsborough. In 1854 Viscount Charles Noel and his wife, recent converts to Catholicism, asked Charles Hansom of Clifton to design a domestic chapel for them. Father Bernard O'Loughlin blessed it on 25 March 1854. At first they had a Jesuit chaplain from Rome, then a French priest and then Father William Henry Anderdon, a convert Anglican clergyman. In 1855 Lord Campden bought a piece of land in Campden Town, one and half miles from Campden House and built a large wooden room to serve as a school and a church. He asked for a Passionist to open it with a mission. Accordingly, on Saturday, 24 February 1855 Father Honorius Mazzini went to the church-school and, with a workman to help him, began to set up a platform, from which he would preach standing beside a large Crucifix. When the workman saw the life size figure on the Cross, he was terrified, thinking it was a real corpse! Opening the mission that evening with a sermon, the next day Father Honorius celebrated the first Mass in Campden Town since the Reformation. The chaplain, Father Anderdon, explained to the people what the Mass was, with the result that the whole congregation behaved exceedingly well, kneeling and looking on in perfect silence towards the Altar. After Mass Father Anderdon preached a very impressive sermon, telling the people why he had become a Catholic. In the afternoon, Father Honorius gave instructions on the first chapter of the catechism. There was quite a large attendance and for his evening sermon the chapel was crowded to excess. About sixty to seventy people immediately told him they would like to become Catholics and he began to give them instructions immediately. During the three weeks he stayed there he received several people into the Catholic Church and left others under instruction.

The Sisters Of The Passion
On 30 March 1855, the feast of Our Lady's Seven Dolours, Father Bernard started the Sisters of the Passion with four ladies: Mary Anne Shrimass, Mary Teresa Smallwood, Hannah Varley and Miss Caroline Mary Waddy. With the permission of the Passionist Father General, they were aggregated to the secular Congregation of the Passion and followed a rule of life based on the Rule of the Confraternity of the Passion.

Cardinal Wiseman In Broadway
At 5 p.m. on Monday, 30 July 1855 St Mary's school bells rang out a joyful signal that Cardinal Nicholas Wiseman was approaching. St Saviour's church bells immediately rang out in welcome. The Cardinal was staying at Campden House and had accepted an invitation to visit Broadway. He came accompanied by Lord and Lady Campden, Monsignor Searle, the Hon. and Rev. Howard, the Hon. and Rev. Stonor and Mr Doyle. Two leading parishioners, William Varley and Hector Caffiere came to welcome him. Ihen the Cardinal spent two hours going all over the house, the church, the schools and the new cottage, very much delighted with everything he saw, including the four Sisters of the Passion, who, in the long black dresses they wore on special occasions, attracted the visitors' attention and were the subject of many enquiries. Cardinal Wiseman again visited Broadway on 17 August 1857. This time, however, there was a note of sadness in his visit, for he asked to see a photograph he had heard the Passionists had of Father Paul Mary Pakenham, who had died earlier that year. The photograph was treasured by Father Salvian Nardocci, who had been Father Paul Mary's novice-master and friend, so that it must have been a great sacrifice for him to offer it to the Cardinal, who, of course, accepted it.

Father Bernard O'loughlin As Rector
In 1857 Father Bernard became the Rector of St Saviour's Retreat. As Rector he made a number of renovations in the house and to the property, including making more paths in the garden and planting fruit trees. In November 1858, when there was a serious shortage of water, he cleared out the wells, made a drain across Stanley's field to a well near the kitchen door and brought water along the drain from two excellent springs. At the suggestion of Father Sebastian Keens, he and Father Bernard held a meeting on 26 September 1858 to start a parish lending library. The object was to supply its members with good and entertaining books in order to help them to advance in the knowledge of religion and piety. Membership cost a shilling, with a weekly fee of a halfpenny. Books could be changed each week at the end of Sunday Mass. They must have been scarce, however, for members could take out only one at a time. Nevertheless the library proved a popular venture, as by 7 November 1858 there were thirty-one members. It was a sad day for Broadway when, on 8 June 1863, Father Bernard had to leave for Paris as the first Rector of the Passionist foundation there.

Father Ignatius Spencer
It would be impossible to recall the history of St Saviour's, Broadway without dwelling on the memory of Father Ignatius Spencer CP, for he loved it with a very special affection. Frequently abroad, giving missions and retreats and preaching his Crusade for the Conversion of England, he seems to have returned to Broadway again and again. His visits were welcomed by the people, the community and especially by the novices, with whom he spent a lot of time. Thus on 16 January 1859 he preached to a large congregation in the church on the necessity of mental prayer for at least a quarter of an hour each day. Two days later he had a chat with each of the novices, who, as Father Salvian, the novice-master noted "were very much edified and formed an opinion that Father Ignatius was really a living saint". Father Salvian also noted in admiration Father Ignatius Spencer's movements the next day: "Father Ignatius got up for Matins at 2 o'clock, said Mass at four, left the house about half-nast five and walked the whole way to Evesham (seven miles) to catch the half-past seven train and so go by third class. He never travels by any other class than the third." Father Ignatius was the youngest son of George John, second Earl Spencer of Althorp, forbear of Diana, Princess of Wales. On that occasion, he was going to Elizabeth Prout's convent at Levenshulme for a day or two, then to St Anne's, Sutton for three or four days and thence to Dublin. Again in January 1860 Father Ignatius arrived in Broadway from London and immediately went for a walk with the novices. He preached to them and the community the next day, 26 January and left on the 30th. He was there again in August and November 1863 and in July 1864. No-one ever forgot that visit, firstly because he brought with him the Passionist Father General, visiting England for the first time and, secondly, because the sermons Father Ignatius gave in the morning and evening of 24 July were the last he ever preached in Broadway, for on 29 July he left for St Anne's, Sutton and on 1 October he died at Carstairs in Scotland. Broadway has indeed been extraordinarily blessed by the presence at different times of so many holy people: Blessed Bernard Silvestrelli, Passionist Superior General, Father Ignatius Spencer and Elizabeth Prout, as well as Father Bernard O'Loughlin and Father Paul Mary Pakenham whose Causes may also be introduced one day.

Further Renovations
In 1863 Father Salvian Nardocci became Rector. Within months he had redecorated the church and built a conservatory for plants and vines. Then in 1865 he was asked by His Royal Highness, the Due d'Aumale and the Duke of Orleans to say Mass each week in their private chapel at Wood Norton.36 Since it was nine miles from Broadway, Father Salvian bought a horse and trap to save J the expense of hiring a carriage every week, as well as for other trips to Evesham etc. To mark the Canonisation of St Paul of the Cross in 1867, the Passionists bought a new organ and laid a new carpet in the sanctuary. In 1872, to increase the accommodation for the novices, the old Benedictine seminary was extended. Brother Osmund Dunn supervised the extension of the novitiate, whilst the glazing and painting were done by Brother Austin Wills. In 1874 there were more renovations in the church and in 1878 a new statue of Our Lady of Lourdes was installed.



Share |