Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

















































































































Events Calender

Page - 3

St. Mary's School
It was probably Father Bernard's early friendship with the children that made him realise how much they needed a school. Father Vincent agreed to his using the land he had bought from Mrs. Stanley but there was no money to pay for the building. At first Father Bernard tried to beg, going out with Brother John in Broadway and throughout the surrounding villages but, although the response was good in Broadway itself, where the people gave £30, he raised no more than a paltry sum elsewhere. Next he tried to apply for a Government building grant but that was unsuccessful too. Finally he decided to borrow £300 from a Mr Hanford of Cheltenham, promising to repay it in three annual instalments of £100. He paid the first on 1 January 1856. When he went to pay the second two days later, Mr. Hanford returned his previous £100, making a donation of the whole sum on the understanding that the school should never be closed.

Father Paul Mary Pakenham
In the meantime, on 16 May 1851 Father Bernard had collected every working man in Broadway capable of using his arms and legs and in possession of a barrow and spade and in one day they took away the hedge, cleared the ground and prepared it for the foundations, which were commenced the next day by the local builder, William Hensley. On 22 May 1851 the foundation-stone was laid by their most distinguished parishioner, William Varley, a true friend to both the Benedictines and the Passionists and it was blessed by the Rector, Father Vincent Grotti. A sermon was preached by Father Thomas OP of the Passionists'

St. Mary's School, 1851
St. Mary's School, 1851

Dominican friends at Woodchester. The convert, Hennry Edward Manning, the future Cardinal, was present, as he was then on retreat at St Saviour's in preparation for his Ordination. It was, however, the Cross-bearer, who attracted the attention of a journalist, who reported with more bigotry than accuracy, "The Hon. Charles Reginald Pakenham, who has lately become a lay brother among the Passionists, degraded himself by carrying the Cross." The Hon. Captain Charles Reginald Pakenham of the Grenadier Guards, nephew of the Duke of Wellington and of General Lygon at Spring Hill had, in fact, received the Passionist religious habit that day as a cleric. Subsequently, as Father Paul Mary Pakenham he was the first Rector of the Retreat of St Paul of the Cross, Mount Argus, Dublin. Revered for his sanctity, he died in Mount Argus on 1 March 1857 with the saintly Father Ignatius Spencer at his side. The labourers obviously worked strenuously throughout the summer for the school was finished on the feast of Our Lady's Birthday, 8 September 1851, exactly one year from Father Vincent's first Mass in Broadway. It was typical of Father Bernard that it was dedicated to the "Virgin Mother of God" and that it opened that same day with a birthday party of cakes and tea for the children and their mothers. Nor did he forget the workmen. With sacred banners flying and arrayed in their Sunday-best, they processed with great s(>lamnity to a grand dinner at the Trumpet Inn.

The Teachers
The first teachers were Mr and Mrs Edward and Mary Maguire from Howth in Dublin, parents of Osmund Maguire who in September 1851 entered the Passionist novitiate. Together they received £60 per year but as this was insufficient to support their increasing family they had to leave. They left a memorial in the form of a sundial. In 1852 Father Vincent had paid £700 for another three acres, known as Foot Ball Close, which he used for an orchard and a garden. Then he had enclosed the monastery grounds with a wall, erected a summer-house and directed Mr Daniel to make paths round the garden. The Maguires' gift was thus an attractive addition. Father Vincent at this time also built stables and sank a well. In July 1854 a student, Brother John Baptist Rugens designed a new Altar to replace both Dom Birdsall's and Father Vincent's cover. After the Maguires left, Father Bernard entrusted the school to Miss Mary Teresa Smallwood, a certificated teacher who had previously been at Aston. She received £40 a year and taught in St Mary's from 18 September 1854. Her health was poor, however, and so on 31 March 1855 she also had to leave. She was succeeded by Miss Caroline Waddy, a convert, who worked without a salary. "A treasure" in every way, as described by Father Sebastian Keens, an excellent teacher, energetic and charitable, she quickly became integrated into parish life too as choir mistress and organist and even started an industrial school in her spare time. Placed under Government Inspection on 25 September 1854, the school was inspected by T.W.M. Marshall HMI on 3 May 1855 and recommended as excellent. It received its first capitation grant in 1856, mainly for Miss Waddy's work in 1855.

St Joseph's Cottage
By then Father Bernard had also provided a playground for the children and St Joseph's Cottage for the teacher. It was designed by Charles Hansom, who visited Broadway on the feast of St Joseph, 19 March 1855 and contracted with a local builder. The work was started immediately that same day and completed in July 1855. When Miss Waddy lived there, dinner was collected from the monastery by her little maid, Emma Bolton at 12 o'clock each day. At that time, 1857, the school, still considered excellent by T.W.M. Marshall, had more than a hundred children. Clearly, Miss Waddy needed an assistant.

Elizabeth Prout, Mother Mary Joseph Of Jesus Foundress Of The Sisters Of The Cross And Passion
In the meantime, another Passionist, Father Gaudentius Rossi had founded the Sisters of the Cross and Passion with Elizabeth Prout, Mother Mary Joseph of Jesus and they already had schools in the Manchester and Sutton areas. Father Bernard seems to have asked Mother Mary Joseph if she could supply a teacher for Broadway. She replied promptly by comir#gtto Broadway on 5-6 May 1857 and then, in October 1857, by sending Sister Francis de Sales Brennan, whose brother was a Passionist novice. She stayed in St Joseph's Cottage with Miss Waddy. Probably both Mother Mary Joseph and Father Bernard hoped that the opening might lead to the Sisters' making a foundation in Broadway but it was not to be: Sister Francis de Sales became seriously ill with tuberculosis, had toleave Broadway and died in 1858.

St. Joseph's Cottage
St. Joseph's Cottage

Mother Mary Joseph, betrayed by some of her early Sisters, had to cross to Ireland to beg in order to pay off the debts they had incurred. Her visit to "dear, kind Father Osmund Maguire" in Mount Argus was like a light in the otherwise all-pervading darkness; later in the same year it was "dear Father Bernard O'Loughlin" who rescued her Congregation from suppression; and on 14 August 1858 Anne Shorey from Broadway entered her novitiate.

Catholic Lectures In Broadway In the midst of all these educational activities Father Bernard was not neglecting the spiritual life of the parish. From 1851 he gave instructions in the Catholic Faith in the school on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday evenings. Ever imaginative, he provided a diversity of lectures, stories, explanations and role-acting and when he had to be away Brother Paul Mary Pakenham took his place. Immensely popular, the sessions were crowded to excess and many of the people became Catholics. When the Passionists had arrived in Broadway there had been only forty Catholics in the whole area, including Campden and the surrounding villages, of whom only thirty, fourteen in Broadway itself, were actually practicing. Within five years of Father Bernard's arrival there were a hundred and fifty Catholics in Broadway alone and sixty children in the school. In 1851 Father Bernard also organised a parish choir, which he trained personally. In 1856, however, he had to go to Ireland to give a mission. In his absence the choir disintegrated and so, on his return, he started a children's choir instead. He taught them Gregorian chant so well that in 1858 Father Salvian Nardocci could write in his diary, "The children as usual sang the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus and Agnus Dei." That was no mean achievement for a school in Broadway. In addition to his activities in Broadway itself, Father Bernard O'Loughlin evangelised the surrounding area of Laverton, Buckland, Childswickham and Willersey.

BUCKLAND
In November 1851 Father Bernard decided that, on Monday evenings, he would extend his lectures to Buckland. The village was about two miles from Broadway and so he bought a donkey and gig and every Monday for the next three months he set out at a trot for the home of one of his parishioners, a Mr Gibson, who had just become a Catholic on 1 November. The meetings lasted about an hour from 7-8 p.m. and were overcrowded. The year was 1851, however. Pope Pius IX had restored the Catholic Hierarchy in England and Wales in September 1850 and, thanks to the Prime Minister, Lord John Russell and The Times, the country was ablaze with anti-Catholicism.28 Non-Catholics were blatantly encouraged to think that every form of bigotry against Catholics was a demonstration of English liberty, Protestantism and loyalty to Queen Victoria. All over the country there were cries of "No Popery", "Church and Queen" and "No Surrender". With good reason, the Passionists were highly respected in Broadway but in Buckland Father Bernard's weekly appearances were greeted with jeers, shouts, screams, yells, threats and blasphemies. Sometimes the mob tried to overturn the gig, or they put obstacles in its way on the road. They pelted Father Bernard with mud, threw stones at his head and threatened to kill him. They almost did one night but the huge stone they flung at him hit his Passionist Sign and fell onto the seat beside him. He seems to have had a premonition of the incident, for that evening he had refused to allow Father Osmuna Maguire's little brother to go with him as usual. If he had gone, he would certainly have been killed. From then, the Catholic men, women and children and all the people of Broadway formed a bodyguard to protect Father Bernard and his donkey. While Father Bernard gave his instructions in Mr Gibson's house, the riff¬raff of Buckland screamed, yelled, shouted and made all the noise they could. Some kicked at the door; others threw stones at it. Some sang, Some whistled. Some beat tin kettles. Others assembled in the house next door and played the violin, sang, drank and rioted. Even the well-disposed joined in with the rabble, through fear, bravado or shame. Finally the landlord threatened to evict Mr Gibson if the meetings did not stop and so Father Bernard had to abandon them. In February 1852, however, the sexton's five daughters were all received into the Catholic Church by Father Vincent and in May 1854 Father Bernard received their father.



Share |